From toddlers to teens, a variety of kids’ hands-on activities and entertainment will be front and center at the 2019 Progressive Cleveland Boat Show in the I-X Center, January 17-21. Here are the top nine kid features that will keep them, and parents, enjoying their day at the show:
1) Twiggy, the world famous water skiing squirrel, will zip around her lagoon on skis and a wakeboard in an all new comedy show that even features Roxie, the Chiwinnie lifeguard overseeing things from her lifeguard stand. Twiggy comes out of retirement to return to Cleveland and will perform several shows each day.
2) Ohio Sea Grant will presenta variety of hands-on activities including tying a fishing lures; viewing, touching and holding live snakes (Saturday thru Monday only); spinning the Lake Erie Prize Wheel and earning prizes while learning about Lake Erie; dress up in Lake Erie themed costumes for taking pictures in the photo booth; and receiving special educational materials.
3) Take the helm of a racing boat and compete with others on an obstacle course using special simulators in the Progressive Insurance Harbor display. They can also attempt to dock a radio-controlled cruiser and learn to properly cleat a line, among other interactive features.
4) The Cleveland Metroparks special exhibit will offer kids a variety of “experiences.” The “elCee2” Water Taxi will be on display and ready for boarding. While on board, Kids will “fish” for magnetic fish and can win small prizes. They can also climb into an amphibian patrol vehicle for pictures, sit in hand-powered watercraft along with other hands-on and educational displays.
5) See the fish! Kids will be awed when they stare into the Berkley 5000-gallon live aquarium and see some big bass looking back at them. In the “Fish Now Expo” section of the show, kids will also learn to cast a fishing pole and properly throw a line, among other activities including special kid’s fishing clinics.
6) Build a Mini Boat at the Cleveland Amateur Boat Builders Society exhibit where kids can assemble, decorate and take home their own mini power or sailboat using a kit created by society members.
7) You are the Captain and take the throttle and helm of a Boston Whaler in the U.S. Power Squadron’s display, albeit via a multi-screen simulator. It’s as real as it gets when an instructor suddenly changes the wind and waves to make it a real challenge for each captain.
8) Meet the Mermaid! Never seen a mermaid? Then come and meet our Boat Show Mermaid. It’s a unique photo op for the whole family (bring you camera or smartphone) to be pictured with this beautiful lady, fish take and all! (Saturday and Sunday Only)
9) Special Monday (Jan. 21) is Kids Day. In addition to all the activities and features every day at the boat show, the Martin Luther King Holiday on Monday has been declared Kids Day (no school) with extra features like nautical-theme face painters and balloon artists strolling the aisles. It’s also Sea Grant Day with one dollar of each admission going toward research at the Stone Laboratory on Gibraltar Island.
The boat show combines education, hands-on activities and entertainment for the kids. It’s because boating is a family sport and the kids aren’t just dragged into the show by boating parents but have a good time of their own.
For complete show details, go to: www.clevelandboatshow.com